Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Memorization Progress

I plan on having my entire program memorized by July 18th (Happy Birthday, Mom!) One way of calculating this plan is to count the total number of pages, and then divide that by 30 to figure out the number of pages I would need to memorize each day to meet that goal. The other day I tried to count the pages, but the number was getting so high (and scary) that I stopped. But I've found my courage, and I'm going to start posting my memorization progress in terms of page numbers. I tried to create some graphs but it was way too hard, so you'll have to read the numbers and imagine the pie charts yourself.

As of today, 6/21/11 (Happy Summer btw!) I have memorized:

Liszt Rhapsody - 4 of 9 pages (44% including the coda!!!)
Beethoven Variations - 4.5 of 11 pages (41%)
Ginastera movement #2 - 4.5 of 6 pages (75%)
Ginastera movement #4 - 6 of 7 pages (86%)
Ravel Waltzes - 1.5 of 25 pages (6%)

Today was a good day, and I finished memorizing the coda of the Liszt! Learning this Rhapsody has been interesting. I've always been kind of scared of Liszt, but I'm finding it very pianistic. Pianists use this term to describe music that "fits" well under the hands - it's almost like you just put your hands on the keys and they know how to arrange themselves to play the music. Not all music written for piano is like this. It is often the case when the composer is also a great pianist.

The coda was a little confusing with the middle notes in the right hand octaves, but it's up in the old noggin now!

Nail polish update: It's starting to fray a bit at the edges and will need a touch up tomorrow. I'm honestly pretty impressed with its staying power.

No comments:

Post a Comment