Thursday, July 7, 2011

A New Approach to Ravel

So, I started thinking, WHY have I been learning the Ravel one waltz at a time, when I've been learning multiple Ginastera movements simultaneously (not to mention a bunch of other pieces)? So... I started learning Waltz #4 and #7 today. In general I seem to have the capacity to memorize about 3 lines of a piece at a time, so 3 lines of #4 and 2-3 lines of #7 make one whole page!

I also downloaded mp3's of the waltzes so that I could have a CD to listen to in my car. I realized that I really need to hear the waltzes a lot, since I don't really know them in and out, and that way it will be easier to memorize them since I'll know what they're supposed to sound like. My brilliant plan is already working.

Today I went to the dentist for a cleaning, and then to the grocery store (okay, two grocery stores) so I was out for most of the afternoon. That plus the fact that I only slept about 5 hours last night made tonight's practicing a struggle, but I did manage to get through everything, and memorize some Ravel and Chopin. Once again, I almost forgot Beethoven. I don't know what it is with that piece. Maybe it's the blue Henle book that just blends into the background.

I made fresh sea scallops and jumbo shrimp sauteed in olive oil with a bit of garlic and lemon, and ate them with a salad with mixed lettuce, sugar snap peas and peas. It was yum. I also bought pork chops which will need to be made tomorrow I guess. But this isn't my food blog so I'll stop there.

Tomorrow is another day, with lots more practicing and memorizing in store. And tomorrow night I'm attending a piano trio concert at St. Mark's Episcopal Church on Capitol Hill: the Modern Musick Fortepiano Trio premiere concert. I'm actually volunteering there before it starts. If you're interested, it's $15 ($10 students). On the program is:
Beethoven: Trio in c minor, op. 1, no. 3
Hewittt: Piano Sonata: “The Battle of Trenton”
Mozart: Violin Sonata in G major, K. 379
Haydn: Trio in G major, Hob. XV, no. 25

No comments:

Post a Comment